government building icon Official government websites use .gov

A .gov website is only available to official government organizations in the United States.

email icon Email addresses now end with

The address will continue to function and all requests to ‘.us’ for both web and email will be redirected to the new ‘.gov’ address.

lock icon Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Meadow Farm


3400 Mountain Road
Henrico, VA

This landmark is near Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park.

Geo Coordinates



c. 1810. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program. HP 1.

The farmhouse is a 1-1/2 story, clapboard structure on a 1810 English basement. The front porch is Greek Revival dating to the 1840s.

Meadow Farm is on park land that is open to the public 365 days/year, sunrise to sunset. The Museum Orientation Center is open to the public during seasonal hours. Free tours of the farm and farmhouse are available year-round. Visit the park page for details.

Historical Timeline

1809 – Mosby Sheppard begins construction of the existing farmhouse. The original construction consisted of only the eastern half of the house.
1820s – As the Sheppard family grows, the western half of the house is constructed.
1831 – Mosby Sheppard dies. His wife Mary G.C. Sheppard operates the farm until their son, John Mosby Sheppard returns from medical school at which time he takes over possession of the farm.
1858 – The farmhouse continues to grow as the back portion of the house is added.
1877 – John Mosby Sheppard dies. His wife, Virginia Ann remains at the farm until her death in 1889. Their son, Mickleborough Young Sheppard then takes possession of the farm.
1913 – Sheppard Crump, nephew of Mickleborough Sheppard purchases the farm. Crump would later become Adjutant General of the Virginia National Guard and live at Meadow Farm with his wife, Elizabeth Adam Crump until his death in 1960.
1974 – Meadow Farm is added to the Virginia Landmark Register as well as the National Register of Historic Places.
1975 – Elizabeth Adam Crump donates the Meadow Farm farmhouse and property to the County of Henrico in memory of her late husband.
1981 – Meadow Farm is opened to the public.


Google Translate Icon